Analiese Paik, Founder of the Fairfield Green Food Guide,
Presented A Local and Sustainable Valentine’s Day Celebration
On News Ch. 8’s Good Morning CT
with Chris Velardi at 7:45 am on Sunday, February 7, 2010
A trip to the Indoor Winter Farmers’ Market at the Fairfield Theater Company provides everything you need to prepare a special Valentine’s Day meal. Open Saturdays from 10-2 on Sanford Street, Fairfield.
- Organic greens and herbs from Two Guys from Woodbridge.
- Organic root vegetables from Starlight Gardens including celeriac, carrots, and potatoes.
- Cheese, milk and yogurt from the Ladies of Levita Road.
- Honey, maple syrup, bread, pies, meat and poultry from other vendors.
Local wines for a local meal.
1. Hopkins Vineyard’s (Warren) fine sparkling wines made using the same methods and grapes (Chardonnay and Pinot Noir) that are used to make Champagne and are perfect to serve with Valentine’s Day dinner. Many of the wines from this 30-year-old winery on a 200+ year-old family farm have won multiple awards in both American and International competitions. Visit the web site to order online or visit the winery for a tasting.
2. CT Valley Winery’s (New Hartford) Black Bear (a port-style wine) goes great with chocolate! Jason Ferraro and his father are the team that runs this CT winery that was voted Best Small Winery and won ten medals in the 2009 Big E Northeast Gold Wine Competition.Visit the winery for a weekend tasting or reserve a seat now for a special Valentine’s Day dinner with wine pairings at the winery!
A Few Favorites from the 21 Bar Tasting of Organic and Fair Trade Chocolates
Equal Exchange Organic & Fairly Traded Very Dark Chocolate, 71% and 80% cacao, , USDA Organic, Fair Trade Certified, Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth (OTCO), Kosher Certified, Whole Trade Guarantee. The bars combine famous Swiss standards in chocolate making with cocoa from the farmer co-operatives CONACADO, in the Dominican Republic, COCABO, in Panama, and CACVRA, in Peru; fairly traded organic sugar from co-operatives in Paraguay and Costa Rica; and fairly traded vanilla from Madagascar.
Kallari Single Source Organic Cacao Nacional, 70%, 75% and 85% cacao, USDA Organic, Rainforest Alliance Certified, Whole Trade Guarantee. This single source USDA organic chocolate made by a cooperative of 850 indigenous Kichwa farmers in the Ecuadorian Amazon and they are the only farmers’ cooperative in the world that harvests, markets and enjoys all profits from its own line of organic chocolate. Made primarily from a rare cacao varietal called Cacao Nacional that flourishes in this area and once faced extinction, these rare beans were singled out for protection by the Slow Food Foundation for Biodiversity.
Newman’s Own Organics Signature Series Dark Chocolate, 54% cacao, USDA Organic, Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth (OTCO), Rainforest Alliance Certified. The new Signature Series line of Chocolate Bars is formulated with fine Certified Organic chocolate made from cocoa beans grown on Rainforest Alliance CertifiedTM farms.
365 Organic Swiss Dark Chocolate, 52% cacao, USDA Certified Organic, Fair Trade Certified, Whole Trade Guarantee. This is Whole Foods Market’s Everyday Value brand of chocolate that’s made in Switzerland using beans from the Dominican Republic.
Note: The Whole Trade GuaranteeTM label identifies companies with a commitment to ethical trade, the environment and quality products in accordance with Whole Foods Market standards. The Whole Planet Foundation receives 1% of the retail sales of Whole Trade GuaranteeTM products, helping to further its mission of ending poverty in the developing world.
The Fair Trade CertifiedTM label guarantees consumers that strict economic, social and environmental criteria were met in the production and trade of an agricultural product. Fair Trade principles include fair prices, fair labor conditions, direct trade, sustainable agricultural practices to preserve human health and fragile ecosystems, democratic organizations and community development using Fair Trade premiums.