The Farm Apprentice program at Wakeman Town Farm is designed to teach the ins and outs of organic farming and gardening to middle schoolers through hands-on instruction from seed to harvest. During the Spring Session, students will be challenged to plan, design, prepare, and plant the Wakeman Town Farm gardens. Some of the activities that students will participate in alongside instructor Michael Aitkenhead include garden planning, seed starting and planting, and garden preparation and maintenance. Aitkenhead, a Staples HS Environmental Teacher and 2009 Westport Teacher of the Year, oversees the Farm where he lives with his wife and children. Students will also help to care for farm animals (chickens, rabbits and honeybees) while also learning about sustainable farm practices like composting and renewable energies.
This is a unique opportunity for students to learn about science and nature in ‘nature’s classroom’ instead of the typical school environment. This program is perfect for students who like to get their hands dirty while learning about the environment. It is also a great opportunity for students to practice problem solving skills and critical thinking in preparation for their high school experience ahead.
*To extend the experience, students are encouraged to register for the farm apprentice summer session, which runs through July and August, or the fall session, which starts in September. For more information about this and other Wakeman Town Farm programs, visit them online at www.wakemantownfarm.org
- Fee: Standard Charge $175
- When: Most Thursdays from February through June, 2012.
- Specific Dates: 2/2, 2/16, 3/1, 3/15, 3/29, 4/5, 4/12, 4/26, 5/3, 5/10, 5/17, 5/24, 5/31, 6/7, 6/14, 6/21, 6/28
- Time: 3pm – 5pm
- Location: Wakeman Town Farm, 134 Cross Highway, Westport Public Schools
- Ages: Middle School Grades 6-8
- Registration Dates: Rolling (January 1, 2012, 9:00am through June 28, 2012)
- Register by mail: Checks made payable to Town of Westport, with “Wakeman Town Farm” in the memo.
- Please mail your payment to: Wakeman Town Farm, 134 Cross Highway, Westport, CT, 06880
- Questions? Call us at 203-557-9195 or email email@example.com