By Analiese Paik
A winter farmers’ market will be held in Greenwich on Saturdays from 10 am-1 pm starting December 7, 2013. The 13 vendor strong market will run through March 29, 2014 at the Greenwich Teen Center located at 100 Arch Street, next to the Island Beach Ferry parking lot.
Five of the vendors are certified organic or follow organic practices, making it an excellent place to buy herbs, eggs, a wide variety of field and greenhouse-grown produce, chicken, plus farmhouse kitchen canned and prepared foods. Why buy those at the grocery store when fresher is better?
Speaking of fresh, Sankow’s Beaverbrook Farm is one of the few farms that makes traditional, Italian style ricotta. In the winter you’ll only find cow’s milk ricotta, since the sheep are not milked year-round. You’ll have to wait for the spring for that! Traditional ricotta (literally “twice cooked” in Italian) is made from whey produced from making other cheeses.
Winter 2013-2014 Vendors
- Four Mile River Farm – pasture-raised beef and eggs
- Goatboy Soaps – handmade, small batch, goat’s milk soaps
- The Herb Basket, LLC – small batch jellies, jams, butters, mustards, and sauces
- Moorefield Herb Farm – organic herbs, flowers and other plants
- On the Rocks Farm – organic eggs and poultry, member CT NOFA
- Oxen Hill Farm, LLC – USDA Certified Organic produce
- Riverbank Farm, LLC – certified organic produce, farmhouse canned food, weekly prepared food
- Roses for Autism – rose farm in Guilford, CT with a larger mission. The company is now “a social enterprise that fosters the thoughtful transition of individuals with Autism to meaningful employment and personal success.:
- Sankow’s Beaver Brook Farm – pasture-raised lamb, cow and sheep’s milk cheeses
- Smith’s Acres – CT Grown annuals, perennials, and tree shrubs
- Sugar Maple Farms – maple syrup, sugar, butter and candy; honey
- Two Guys from Woodbridge – certified organic produce, greenhouse-grown
- Woodland Farm – a wide variety of apple, including heirlooms
Winter Greenwich Farmers’ Market
Saturdays from 10 am-1 pm
December 7, 2013 through March 29, 2014
Greenwich Teen Center, 100 Arch Street (next to the Island Beach Ferry parking lot)