Winter Farmers Markets 2015-2016
By Analiese Paik
Winter farmers markets are popular shopping destinations in Fairfield County. And why not? We have four season farmers and exciting food vendors who are dedicated to their craft throughout the seasons. Consumers eager to buy locally grown food, even when it means braving winter weather, will find everything from organic winter produce to specialty and prepared food made by small businesses working hard to establish themselves and grow a following.
Winter farmers’ markets in Westport, Southport, and Monroe will run this season, all in indoor, heated venues. Greenwich and Weston winter markets will not run this year and the New Canaan Farmers Market at the Old Center School Parking Lot, which runs through the end of November, may simply extend its season through Christmas rather than move to the Nature Center for the winter (more on that soon). Please note that the following outdoor spring/summer markets run through November or December: Bethel, Darien, New Canaan, Greenwich, Shelton, Please consult our 2015 farmers market guide for locations and dates.
Please find a complete guide to all the winter markets in Fairfield County below. Market Masters, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are running a winter market that we haven’t listed.
The Winter Westport Farmers’ Market starts on November 14 and will once again be held at Gilbertie’s Herb Gardens in Westport. Congratulations on five successful years for the winter market and ten for the spring/summer market which concludes Nov. 5! Read our feature article to learn about vendors and special weekly events.
Saturdays from 10 am – 2 pm
November 14, 2015 – March 12, 2016
Special Thanksgiving farmers’ market
Tuesday, November 24
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Gilbertie’s Herb Gardens
7 Sylvan Lane, Westport
A new winter farmers market is opening downtown inside Ukrainian-American Club in Southport. Read our feature article to learn more about the market.
Saturdays from 10 am – 1 pm
279 Kings Drive, Southport (Fairfield)
November 14, 2015-April 30, 2016
1. Chestnut Hollow Farms – Organic hydroponic lettuce and fresh herbs.
2. Silver Pond Farm – fresh, free range eggs and produce in season including garlic
3. Beldotti Bakery – Hand crafted Artisan breads, including savory loaves such as Rosemary Boule, fresh, hand made mozzarella cheese, and hand made pesto.
4. Saugatuck River Farms – hand crafted bacon and charcuterie from Westport, including duck, sausages and other savory meats
5. The Bee Happy Company – Clinton, CT – hand made skin care products from honey, and selling fresh honey.
6. Organic Granola by Jen – Jen Olbrys, Stratford, CT – hand made organic granola – tastes delicious and so good for you!
7. Daffodill Hill Growers – Southbury, CT – fresh, local grown produce, including vegetables, fruit and greens.
8. Fairfield Bread Co. Michael, head baker offering “flaxette” bread, in luncheonette and other loaves.
9. Coreen’s Bridge Florist – fresh floral arrangements, bouquets and hand crafted items.
10. Amanda Wegner – hand made jewelry, mushroom growing kits
11. Altered & ReFAB – hand crafted home decorations and clothing
12. D’Andicrafts – Stratford, CT hand made candles and soaps.
Winter Farmers’ Market at Benedict’s Home & Garden (Monroe)
Saturdays from 10-1 in a heated greenhouse. Vendors include Guy’s Eco Garden, Daffodil Hill Growers, and Savor cookies.
January 9, 2016 – February 27, 2016
Benedict’s Home & Garden
480 Purdy Hill Road, Monroe
New Canaan Winter Farmers’ Market
New Canaan Nature Center
144 Oenoke Ridge Road
New Canaan, CT 06840
Open every Saturday
January 9, 2016 through March 26, 2016
11:00am to 2:00pm
Rain or shine
Did we miss a market? Please contact email@example.com and request to have the market listed.
The copy, images, and photos and on this site are copyright protected and therefore subject to copyright law and may not be used or reproduced without prior written permission. We strive to make our guide as accurate as possible, but errors may appear due in part to markets changing schedules after the season has begun.